On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 1:45 PM, Michael Fogus <mefo...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Yes, but what exactly are these "unification binding, subst, and
>> unification functions"?
>
> This is information that seems a bit odd to include in a set of
> release notes, but I suppose a link to where such information could be
> found is warranted.

It's usual for release notes to at least link to more complete
documentation, but not uncommon for them to also have a quick summary
paragraph explaining what the application or library does or is for.
Particularly if they get posted to lists like this, where they might
be the way someone first hears about it.

More generally, "Foo is a library providing the following features:"
is usually followed by something that developers can immediately
understand as something useful, such as "DOM parsing" or "raytracing"
or "GUI framework". This seemed to be more mathematical in character,
or perhaps described in terms of its implementation or some other
abstraction, rather than in terms of what a prospective user of the
library would actually use it for.

>> In other words, I'm a developer. I have some concrete problems. Which
>> of those can this library help solve, and how?
>
> I have no idea what kinds of problems you're trying to solve.

Er ... how about "what problems or tasks would cause a developer who
already knew all about your library to reach for it in preference to
some other tool, and why?" then.

>> Unfortunately, the description you provided seems to use solution
>> domain language only, not problem domain. Someone who doesn't know
>> what this unification stuff is all about won't have any idea whether
>> or how this library might be useful to them.
>
> This is a 0.5.2 set of release notes meant as information for people
> currently using the library.  If you want more information on
> unification then you'll need to wait until a later release.

That doesn't help grow your user base/beta tester base/whatever,
though, does it?

> Google also helps too. :-)

Not really, not with a single fairly generic word like "unification".
Right off the top of my head I can think of several political causes,
a few format standardization efforts, and at least one Star Trek
episode with that word in the name, of which the format
standardization efforts are the only ones that sound like they could
plausibly be relevant here. No doubt there's lots more uses of the
word and most of those are also not likely to be relevant.