#1 result: wikipedia, which has a disambiguation page with the second entry:

"Unification (computer science), the act of identifying two terms with
a suitable substitution"

That page in turn says:

"Unification, in computer science and logic, is an algorithmic process
by which one attempts to solve the satisfiability problem. The goal of
unification is to find a substitution which demonstrates that two
seemingly different terms are in fact either identical or just equal.
Unification is widely used in automated reasoning, logic programming
and programming language type system implementation."

I don't know whether that definition helps you?

It's hard for me to know what "most" developers know about unification
because I've worked in Prolog so I suspect I'm an edge case (and I'm
excited about core.unify - I just haven't needed it in my production
code yet).
--
Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."