Bill Hoffman wrote:
Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
Bill Hoffman wrote:
Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
We need to compile the same underlying code 7 times for 7 different libraries. 3 of the resulting libs are dynamic and 4 are static.

I am not following the example here. If PCRE where a "convenience" library you would want it to be used by both the static and shared libchicken? There are different compile flags for shared and static so, it would have to be compiled twice. What are the 7 different types of libraries?

As I said above.
What are the differences besides static and shared. If there are differences, then I don't see how convenience libraries would help. It would seem that each object file would have to be compiled 7 times regardless.

There are no other differences in the PCRE library. It is straight C code, not Chicken output, so it doesn't need any of Chicken's usual flags. It is a properly independent sub-library. We just don't want to have people doing -lchicken -lpcre, we want the PCRE library embedded in -lchicken.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every