Hi Suzieq,

I forgot to mention that anything that you eat or drink that contains
purines can cause the gout. There are several that are very high content of
purines. Sea food like crustaceans but usually not fish, Wine, and
especially beer. Green leafy vegetables like spinich, then Mushrooms. Red
meat, lunch meats. All of these can bring on a gout attack which will
usually start while your sleeping. Then suddenly you awake about two or
three in the morning with a terrible pain, usually in the lower extremities
mainly at the side of your big toe but they could be anyware in any joint.
At that point you will need to take a steroid like prednosone which is also
bad for your kidneys, and I should know about that.

You may want to go on line and find out which foods or drinks contain
purines and avoid them. A good place to start is here:
http://www.livestrong.com/article/328955-food-and-drink-high-in-purines/

Now mind you, just because the list of these foods and drinks may be
over-whelming that doesn't mean that you must never eat them again. If you
do have the gout then you will learn what and how much of that what you can
or can not eat or drink.

So, if it should end up as the gout there are treatments for it besides
steroids, mainly Allopurinal once a day. It comes in either 300 mg tablets
or 100 mg tablets. Your doctor will probably start you on 300 mg and see
what if anything happens. If it does help (providing that you actually have
the gout) he or she will probably reduce the dose to 100 mg and again see
what happens. There is also another drug called Indocine that may help if
you already experiencing a gout attack rather then the steroids. Just so
you know if you take a steroid the pain will be relived within 20 minutes,
but steroids sometimes can cause other problems.

In a way, I do hope that it is the gout rather then any other type of
arthritis because you will only have to be on Allopurinal rather then some
other strong drugs, and you need to speak with your doctor/s about any
other interactions with your TKI (Gleevec, or any other TKI) with any of
these drugs I have already mentioned.

By the way, I  have never been on any TKI but rather had a bone marrow
transplant more then 23 years ago, but I used to have the gout attacks very
bad, and ever since I have been on Allopurinal (100 mg) have only had one
or two very mild gout attacks.

This information that I have written about is what happened to me. Since we
are all different and use different medications what may be either good or
bad for me may not be good or bad for you. You should always sit down with
your doctor/s and have an informed discussion with them.

18,s

Marty