When you CD to an SFS directory, the FTP server obtains a workunit (DMSGETWU).
Then, with each subsequent FTP operation you perform, it pushes your workunit
onto the stack via DMSPUSWU, does what you ask, then pops it back off with
DMSPOPWU.

Some things it does via command and some things it does via CSL routine.  The
CSL routines are always provided the workunit id.  The FTP server does not do
any authorization checking.  The SFS server does that based on the ID
associated with the workunit.

In any case, if you're going to depend on the alternate userid, you have to set
it before you do ANY SFS functions.  If QUERY IUCV shows you already have a
connection to the SFS server, you need to purge the workunits or re-IPL CMS.
If you use the admin workunit functions of SFS, you can avoid worrying about
when, exactly, and APPC connection is established.  (APPC is an IUCV-like
connection, but it has different semantics.)

Alan

Alan Altmark
IBM Senior z/VM Engineer and Consultant
1 607 321 7556  (Mobile)