From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Colomba
Sent: Friday, January 11, 2013 6:49 PM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List HAM radio on board

Hi Fred

 of cause, basic idea is to use only an auto-tuner ... but, if you look at
the possibilities, on 7 MHZ ( 40m band) there will be no chance for any
auto-tuner to match the aft stay (on the C&C 34 with 12.7m isolated aft stay
length, other length of cause may be possible).
 To illustrate the problem i.e. 80m band (3,5-3,8 Mhz) ... aft stay
isolated, far field pattern: max. -0.7 dBi, losses in the antenna tuner app.
50%, 30° vertical angle. Aft stay connected to the whole rigging the far
field: max 3.93 dBi; losses in the antenna tuner 2%, with a vertical angle
of 60°, which means nearly an optimum for long distance connections.

 Main problem for HF connections on a sailing boat is, during sailing I have
only app. 12.5V meaning something about 60W output, but 15A. Ok, I can use
an Amplifier to increase output, say to 300 W or something, no problem, but
in this case I would use app. 60A or something like that. For sailing
conditions inacceptable. Result in my point of view is, to optimize the
antenna. If I`m able to send out really with 60 W and have only 2% losses,
than everything is fine. With 100W output I had contact to stations up to
3000 sm away, on sea, with salt water enviroment 60W should doing same due
to much better ground conditions.

 For the relay in the circurit, no, it`s not really a big thing. Looking to
what`s going on on this point, only 0.6V and 2A (on 80m band with 100W, the
others I have to check, but I do not expect really high voltage or current),
so a 12 V rellay with 16A should do this job easily.

best regards
Peter