Peter -- on this side of the pond, it's common to use a completely-isolated
backstay for the antenna.  I'd be concerned about getting RF burns if you don't
isolate at the top (using the mast and the rest of the stays/shrouds as
antennas); and depending on your transmit power, you'd need quite a large relay
to switch the mast/rigging in or out of the circuit anyway.

Are you using an antenna tuner between the radio and the antenna?  Most SSB
installations I'm familiar with use an auto-tuner along with the fully-isolated
backstay.

See if this helps:  http://www.yachtcom.info/backstay/index.html

Fred Street -- Minneapolis