Mixed topics in this one ...

> National Yacht Club had a Hunter drop during lift out a few years back. The
> bow was wounded badly.

Rumor has it that the forward sling position was mark too far forward. At NYC
it is the owner's responsibility
to place tape on the toe rail where the slings should go. The Hunter slid  off
the forward sling and went down
a short distance nose first. The hole through the bow was reported to be caused
not directly from the fall but
a loose spinnaker pole or boom inside the boat falling forward. Punctured a
hole right through the fiberglass.

> Michael if you ever need crew I'm available! Steve

Will do. We also run practices on the weekend and MOB drills.  Though with the
water temps it
may not be the first week of May ;-) Might also do a practice run to DYC and
back, maybe some night sailing.

 > Don't know how your local racing is regulated, but a whisker pole more than
 > 1.5 J is usually not allowed.
> John McLaughlin

>From the current PHRF-LO handicapper's manual:

7.2. WHISKER POLE
Effective April 2009:
There will no longer be a penalty for oversized Whisker Pole lengths.
7.2.1. One whisker pole only shall be used.
7.2.2. Provisions of US Sailing rule 54, prohibiting sheeting of sails over or
through
outriggers, are specifically voided for whisker poles used according to the
provisions of this paragraph.

The reference to US Sailing rule 54 is dated. 54 now states:

54 FORESTAYS AND HEADSAIL TACKS
Forestays and headsail tacks, except those of spinnaker staysails
when the boat is not close-hauled, shall be attached approximately on
a boat’s centreline.

Likely refers to this:

50.3 Use of Outriggers
(a) No sail shall be sheeted over or through an outrigger, except as
permitted in rule 50.3(b) or 50.3(c). An outrigger is any fitting
or other device so placed that it could exert outward pressure
on a sheet or sail at a point from which, with the boat upright, a
vertical line would fall outside the hull or deck. For the purpose
of this rule, bulwarks, rails and rubbing strakes are not part of
the hull or deck and the following are not outriggers: a
bowsprit used to secure the tack of a sail, a bumkin used to
sheet the boom of a sail, or a boom of a boomed headsail that
requires no adjustment when tacking.
(b) Any sail may be sheeted to or led above a boom that is
regularly used for a sail and is permanently attached to the
mast from which the head of the sail is set.
(c) A headsail may be sheeted or attached at its clew to a spinnaker
pole or whisker pole, provided that a spinnaker is not set.

Though common holding out a sail or sheet by hand, boat hook or
anything that is not attached to the mast / spinnaker ring may be against
rules. At NYC if people hold the #1 out a bit in light shifty winds to prevent
chaffing on the spreaders no one seems to worry.

I see differences club to club in the PHRF ratings, length of whisker poles
is one of the more common one.

Michael Brown
Windburn
C&C 30-1