Chuck:

The original owner of our 32 ordered the 'mast holes' as an option when he bought the boat. He ordered other options as well, for example, the interior has the 'teak option' meaning the interior of the hull in the v-berth and quarter berth has teak paneling. As well, the main salon table is teak and not the usual laminate.

I can assure you that C&C and/or Forspar knew what they were doing when they designed these holes. They continually draw air from the main cabin up the mast. The original owner told me himself that these holes were specifically for ventilation and for no other intended purpose. That's all I can rely on. And as I said earlier, I have yet to see another C&C with them although others here on the C&C list have them.

I really do not believe C&C placed those holes in the mast for any safety reasons.....as with you, I can't see where it would be safe for the mast to break there.....makes no sense and even if it did, why don't all C&C mast stepped boats have these as a safety feature.

As with others, the first year we had the boat, we left the mast in over the winter......when on board with the electric heater on, I had to put masking tape over the holes to keep the heat in.....while you may think there is a better design for ventilation, and there very well may be, I can assure everyone, these holes do a very good job venting the boat. Wally has them on Stella Blue and he says they are very effective.

Since Rob Ball designed my boat, I sent him an email yesterday asking him to clarify the purpose of these mast holes.....no response as of yet....might not get one!

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 - 84
Halifax, N.S.