Kevin,

I keep this in my maintenance file.  I just copy and paste to emails.  I
just overbored and filled my cockpit coaming for some new winches using the
method below.

Here's the soup to nuts way to best protect your boat if the penetration is
through cored deck.  If it's not cored, just do the chamfering.

1. Remove and mark all hardware as to location and orientation (i.e, port,
forward, etc.)

2. Overbore each hole 1-2 drill sizes larger.

3. Tape underside or stick some Play Doh in hole

4.  Mix a batch of West Systems epoxy with SLOW hardener.

5. Inject epoxy in hole with syringe.  Insert tip of syringe to bottom of
hole and inject epoxy from bottom to completely fill hole.  Wiggle the tip
of the syringe around a bit to ensure good coating of hole.  Then suck the
epoxy out.  Repeat for each hole.  Alternate method: use a Q-Tip to coat
the hole.

6. If the epoxy hasn't begun to really kick, mix in some thickener, West
Systems 403 or 404, thouroughly mix and inject into each hole as in No. 5
above.  Allow to cure.

7.  Redrill holes using hardware as template.  If rebedding genoa tracks,
enlarge the holes in the backing plate because they probably won't line up.

8. Using a cone shaped grinding stone in a drill, chamfer the square edge
off the hole at the deck.  This will let the caulk form a gasket around the
bolt at the deck.

9. Rebed with 4200, 4000UV or Lifeseal.  Just before bolt or screw bottoms
out, back it off and retighten a couple of times.  This will coat the
fastener with caulk at the deck.  If a bolt, tighten to just short of fully
tight.  Allow to cure 24 hours.

10.  After cure, have a helper hold the bolt from turning and fully tighten
the nut.

If you're doing handrails and they're screwed in from underneath, it might
be better to overbore 1 drill size and simply coat with unthickened epoxy.
It will be difficult to match the angle of the hole when you rebore.  Also
chamfer the hole in the handrail.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
mandeville, LA