Pete,

I've used an Allan Key in a drill chuck to do it, but a bent nails sounded
even more efficient.

What you are doing is entirely the right approach. All holes through balsa
or any other core should be "potted" with epoxy. Use the slow hardener
though, the fast hardener generates a lot of exotherm on that much filled
epoxy and may even boil.

Rob