I found that clear mailing tape works well to cover the bottom of the hole.
Bend the end over to help removal later.
A shop vac for removing the core is essential.
West Systems has a nice booklet and videos that explain proper technigues.

West suggests wetting the inside of any hole; core and skins with unthickened
epoxy first.
I start with about 3 or 4 pumps of resin and hardener in a plastic cup (Dollar
Store throw aways). I mix thoroughly with an acid brush, for well over 1
minute, wet out the holes, then I add 404 High Density filler to the cup mixing
until it is like mayonaise or peanut butter, and fill the holes using the brush
to push it into any voids in the core. One problem with West is the amine blush
that forms when it cures, and requires grinding before adding another layer.
Scrubbing with a good 3M pad removes it easiest if the surface isn't too rough.
Don't wet out more holes than you have prepaired filler. You can keep adding
more epoxy/filler as long as the first is still reacting, is in gel form and
hasn't cured hard. Once it is hard, you need to grind off the amine blush to
get a good bond.

Also, in warmer weather, if your cup of epoxy starts to overheat, you can set
it in a shallow pan of water to slow down the reaction, and prevent a fire.
In colder weather, I like to have a heat gun handy to warm the surface before
applying and to warm the epoxy to get it to kick. I also use a heat lamp to
keep heat on an area to be sure it will cure thoroughly. I don't like to epoxy
anything if the temp of the substrate is below 40 or above 80.

Chuck
Resolute
1990 C&C 34R
Broad Creek, Magothy River, Md