From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Steve Thomas
via CnC-List
Sent: Thursday, February 26, 2015 10:15 AM
To: Josh Muckley; cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Subject: Re: Stus-List Need Recommendation for Tool to remove balsa core from
drilled hole - resins etc

I bought a used Natty dodger for my boat and am faced with the same task for
the 30+ holes to install the Lift-the-Dot(r) fasteners that it requires to
fasten the canvass to the deck.
I did try to counter sink holes in the gelcoat and screw into the top
fiberglass layer underneath, but that turned out to be a disaster.
I have done lots of through bolting for various things over the years without
difficulty, but this was my first experience trying to use self tapping
fasteners (look like wood screws) in the deck and it was not a positive
experience. The gelcoat is very thick in places, and in spite of my attempts to
counter sink the gelcoat, often as not the screw chips out a huge flake.
Removing the canvas female fastener from the deck mounted pins can take some
force, and the screws pull out of the thin top layer of fiber glass. So I
concluded after several failures that I need to stop what I was doing and use
the drill and fill procedure. Then came winter.

In all of these discussions about drilling and filling over the years, everyone
defaults to using West System epoxy resin to fill the areas needing
reinforcement.
What is it about this product that makes it so superior?
Why not use a polyester resin? - at least gelcoat will stick to it.
Like most of us older guys I had experience with automotive body fillers in my
younger years.
They are all polyester. What is wrong with using that?

Some of the Lift-the-Dot(r) fasteners are difficult to release and I don't know
how to fix them. I have been thinking about changing over to the flat, 1/4 turn
fasteners that are commonly used now. Is it a practical solution? Has anyone
tried this?

Spring project.

Steve Thomas
C&C27 MKIII