From: CnC-List [mailto:cnc-list-boun...@cnc-list.com] On Behalf Of Martin
DeYoung via CnC-List
Sent: Friday, June 5, 2015 11:50 AM
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Martin DeYoung
Subject: Re: Stus-List Propeller Shaft Coupling question

Brad,

If you are planning on a typical PNW San Juan's and further north summer
cruise you will be putting many hours on your auxiliary engine. (Summer in
the San Juan's turns sailboats into slow power boats.)  Performing the full
shaft/coupling repair now would be a good idea.

If you plan on a short motor out of the marina and then shutting down the
mechanical propulsion you may be able to fit a larger woodruff key, larger
set screws/bolts, and follow the other advice regarding placing a zinc
forward of the shaft log in case the low budget repair fails.  If the
coupling remains loose on the shaft expect additional vibration and wear on
both the shaft and coupling plus a clunk when shifting between forward and
reverse.

If you do go the "full monte" and pull the shaft, take a close look at your
cutlass bearing as it would be easy to replace at the same time.

Martin DeYoung

Calypso

1971 C&C 43

Seattle