Hi Brad,

Good to hear you have a zinc ahead of the strut but is it far enough ahead that you can push the shaft back to remove the shaft coupling half?

Rotational play between shaft & coupling is not as bad as excess clearance between the hub & shaft. I would attempt a temporary repair and deal with it at the next haulout. Best case scenario is all you need is a new key, they do get worn quite a bit with lost motion (it takes quite a hit every gear shift).

Get them apart and measure along the keyway on both pieces to determine wear pattern. If you find either keyway shows wear you have two options, 1) make a stepped key that matches each slot (keyway) size; 2) fit a tiny shim with the key in the worn slot. A stepped key is not difficult to make by hand, I've done a few for industrial pump situations, but it can be tedious. A shim for this is going to be like working on a miniature train set. But you might get lucky and find something that just fits. For either temp repair I suggest Loctite between coupling half & shaft (and set screws as Danny mentioned) for re-assembly. Get the hub, with key laid in, started onto the shaft by 25%, then smear Loctite on loading area and get the coupling half into proper position and tighten immedately.

Whoa, I didn't even finish that last sentence and heard the shouting. Chill man, it's not 5200. This is from Loctite info:
"Here it is from the horses mouth. The Loctite corp..

Q: How can I remove a fastener that is "permanently" locked in?

A: The application of heat is needed to remove a fastener that can't be removed with a hand tool. Temperatures of 325F and above is needed to break down a standard anaerobic, 500F for high temperature Anaerobics. A heat gun or propane torch is commonly used to do this process, and careful disassembly should occur while parts are still hot. Once apart, and cooled, use methylene chloride (Chisel #79040) to remove cured excess material. Always wipe down the fasteners with clean up solvent to remove the wax film that Chisel leaves on the surface.

For the permanent repair the only new thing you'll need is a key. A machine shop will true the offending keyway and possibly match it to the other keyway if it's off a bit too or just true the one and make a custom (stepped) key to use. If it's the stepped key options then make sure you get a couple of spares and the dimensions.

        Cheers, Russ
        Sweet 35 mk-1
        Vancouver Island