David, I can tell you that my Raymarine ST 4000 plus MKII wheel pilot was
useless until I installed the rudder angle sensor that was supplied with it
but I am not sure if your new wheel pilot was supplied with a rudder angle
sensor..  I delayed installing that rudder angle sensor for 2 years because
of the the difficulty in working below deck on the quadrant of my boat and
during that time I moved the fluxgate compass forward to a locker below the
port settee adjacent to the base of the mast and far away from anything
magnetic but it still wouldn't hold a course.  Finally I bit the bullet and
wiggled myself and the necessary tools back into that cramped dark space to
where I could do the rudder sensor installation on the quadrant.  Once the
control head had the signal from the rudder sensor the unit worked very
well and now aside from it working well I also like the readout on the
display that tells me my rudder angle.  I don't quite understand why my
wheel pilot required the signal from a rudder angle sensor because I
thought the unit should be capable of steering a course based on compass
input alone.  This may not apply to you new wheel pilot but it does
illustrate that everything has to be installed as described to get good
performance from your wheel pilot so pay attention to where your compass is
located and make sure all connections are good...you may also have gain and
response controls on your wheel pilot so also experiment with the settings
on those for your boat.  The little motor that drives the wheel should not
feel overly warm to touch even after many hours of steering. I am finally
very pleased with my old Raymarine wheel pilot and very pleased with the
repair (one blown resistor replaced in the circuit board) that was done by
the Raymarine service center here in Dartmouth, NS about a month ago.

Dwight Veinot
C&C 35 MKII, *Alianna*
Head of St. Margaret's Bay, NS
d.ve...@bellaliant.net