>From the pictures you sent, it appears that the fiberglass layup is virtually
>identical to the layup in my early 1975 model. I have the same raised area of
>fiberglass under one of the keel bolts, and also the same strip if roving
>athwart the bilge and extending up under the cockpit sole.

I am interested in the irregular hole in the sole that you show in photo #1. My
bilge is accessed through a long rectangular opening in the sole, and the edges
of the sole are recessed to take a rectangular teak board. So all of my keel
bolts are accessible through the same rectangular opening.

When I bought Belle in May, 1994 she had a C&C smile – though I did not know
what that was at the time. On someone’s recommendation I opened up the crack,
laid in sealant (maybe 5200?), faired over the sealant, and finished painting
the bottom. When I hauled out that October, the smile was back.

Belle also has rust in the bilge. My keel nuts were stainless, but there were
what was left of galvanized washers under the nuts. I can’t quite determine if
your keel nuts are stainless or galvanized – but the keel bolts and nuts on
Belle were obviously clean stainless and still pretty shiny as I recall.

Anyway, over the first winter I discovered a precursor to this list and learned
about the C&C smile and proper keel bolt torque. I had some new stainless
backing plates made from stainless (3/16” or ¼” thick) and before the spring
launch I replaced all the rusted backing plates with stainless (one bolt at a
time) and properly torqued the keel bolts. Then re-faired the smile and applied
bottom paint. I re-torqued the bolts during a haul out in about 2003 or 2004
(they did not seem to have loosened any in the intervening 8 or 9 years). When
Belle was last hauled a couple of years ago, there was still no evidence of a
smile.

Rick Brass

Imzadi  C&C 38 mk 2

la Belle Aurore C&C 25 mk1