Good timing on this topic, I just finished installing my new Garhauer
RV-20-1SL vang. Thinking about writing a blog post on it (svviolethour.com)
since I've been so happy with it so far (though haven't yet used it
sailing! Just installed 3 days ago).

It's the best deal in boating I've found so far - less than $500 is a
really reasonable price compared to other boating items with comparable
quantities of stainless steel, turning blocks, line and custom SS mast +
boom fittings.

Took about an hour to make the mast/boom templates and 7 hours to install
(cut all these times in 1/2 or 1/4 if you're not a perfectionist like me,
and not learning all these skills from scratch). 1 hour of that was to
remove the existing boom vang U-bolt fitting which was in the boom (hard to
work it down to the end of the boom), and ~2 hours was for fixing the part
I messed up - my center punch hadn't arrived from Amazon yet so the drill
chattered a bit and a couple holes ended up 1/16" - 1/8" off - enough to
not allow tapped machine screws in. Had to dremel out the fitting holes a
little larger with the tungsten carbide cutter.

-Patrick
Seattle, WA
1984 C&C LF38