Chuck,

Plus 2 for Garhauer. I have a Garhauer vang on each of my boats. One is over
20 years old, the other 13. Strong. Custom fit to the boat. And really great
customer service from Guido and Mark. You won't find a better value or
anything that works better. I commend your decision to do away with the
"Damned thang", which I always found to be a general PITA .

Neil,

You are correct that the Boomkicker is less expensive. The K1500 that Chuck
would need would be around $300. The Garhauer just under $500. He would
still need his soft vang. Installation could be pretty straightforward,
unless the existing mast and boom tangs for the soft vang interfere with the
mounting of the hardware for the Boomkicker.

That said, my reservation about the Boomkicker is that I have seen, on 5 or
6 occasions over the years, the top of the Boomkicker rod come unpinned from
its mounting. When that happens, the boom ends up in the cockpit when you
drop the sails. That's probably a result of inattention or poor maintenance
on the part of the boat owner, I admit, and certainly the owner of a classic
C&C will pay better attention to his boat than the average owner. But still.

Peter,

I agree with Bill's suggestion that you contact Garhauer for new springs if
you think your vang has too much lift in it - though I suspect the weight of
a boom and sails for a 30-1 isn't all that much heavier than those on a 27.
I suspect you will find it is pretty inexpensive and relatively easy to make
the change.

A few years ago I had to put a new mast on my 25 (long story about an
inattentive skipper). When I called Garhauer about the installation of the
vang on the new mast, Guido asked me what model vang I had and what profile
Kenyon mast I was installing. He sent me a lower mounting bracket for the
new mast and the cost was less than $50. I mentioned that I had some slop in
the upper mounting , where the tang on the boom was mounted into the top of
the rigid vang, that was probably due to the fact that I had the original
roller furling boom on the boat. He sent me a new set of spacers to correct
the problem at no charge. As I said, great customer service.

Rick Brass

Imzadi  C&C 38 mk 2

la Belle Aurore C&C 25 mk1

Washington, NC