David,

What model boat and do you have a “quadrant” (looks like a slice of pie) or a
radial drive wheel (full circle) on the rudder post?

Perhaps the best guide to rudder stop placement can be found in Edson’s
steering system planning, installation and maintenance guide found here:

http://www.edsonmarine.com/support/PDFs/planning/EB381SteeringGuide.pdf

Look at the charts on the first page.  The number of turns hard over to hard
over is a function of sprocket size (typically 11 tooth), radius size of the
quadrant or radial wheel, and the allowable amount of rudder travel (does the
rudder contact the hull when hard over?).

Keep in mind that beyond 30 degrees of rudder deflection, the rudder generally
only serves to slow down the boat rather than making it turn faster.  Also, if
you  set up the boat to have more rudder travel, make sure that the chain that
attaches to the steering cable is properly centered over the pedestal sprocket
and that it has sufficient chain length in either direction.  If the chain is
longer than 2’ (on a full height pedestal), the connecting link between the
chain and the cable ends can damage or be damaged by contacting the idler
pulleys below the pedestal.

Hope this all helps..

Chuck Gilchrest

S/V Half Magic