If the autopilot ram is doing double duty as a rudder stop, that is bad.  You
need to re'locate the rudder stop further inboard on the quadrant to limit
travel and then re-set the throw on the AP.  Most autopilot Rams will mount
roughly 8" from center on your rudder post.
Chuck Gilchrest
S/V Half Magic
1983 LF 35
Padanaram MA