I completely agree that you should do your best not to hit them, but the colregs do not recognize common sense as a legal justification for anything. That is true of most of law, on land as well as on sea. You are obligated to do as the law says, not as you feel about what it says. When someone "does their own thing", it leads to uncertainty, and that can lead to problems. Others depend on everyone following the same rules in the same way so they all know what to expect. That is why, among other things, the stand on vessel is required to maintain course and speed and not start zigging and zagging. :-)

Bill Bina