The Colregs do not include rowboats, kayaks, canoes and paddleboards in the pecking order, which means they have no specific priority over other vessels. There was a time, when seaplanes were not included either. Seaplanes were obligated to avoid interfering with any other vessel. Swimmers, likewise have no status in the pecking order. Yeah, Rule 2 says do whatever you can to avoid any collision, but vessels not in the pecking order are obligated to avoid interfering with all other vessels in all situations. They are never the "stand on vessel"

The colregs are available to anyone who needs to know, and a copy should be aboard every vessel.

<www.navcen.uscg.gov/pdf/navrules/navrules.pdf>

Bill Bina