Yep, the mighty Yanmar 2qm20 is raw water cooled and the 1978 original. My
understanding is that the thermostat opens to route salt water through
the block
when warm enough.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Dec 13, 2016, at 7:38 PM, Rick Brass <rickbr...@earthlink.net> wrote:

Jeremy;

Someone has probably pointed out in a later post that – unless you have an
older RAW WATER cooled engine – the water that passes through your sea
strainer never sees the inside of your engine block.

If you have a fresh water cooled engine (most Yanmars have an F in the
model number) the antifreeze you put in the strainer protects the strainer,
the heat exchanger, and the muffler. The engine already has antifreeze in
it, just like your car.

Rick Brass

Washington, NC