Adam,
I've had a Helly Hansen inshore coat for the past 12 years since Helly
Hansen guarantees their gear waterproof for the life of the garment.  It has
been replaced once under warrantee but I only paid freight for the new one
(which was also a newer model).  It isn't necessarily warm, but is loose
fitting enough for me to layer up underneath.  I don't expect a summer
weight rain and spray resistant garment to keep me warm in the shoulder
seasons.

 The "name" brands such as Gill, Musto, Helly Hansen, and Henri Lloyd all
make gear with offshore features and they charge appropriately large dough
for the feature packed garments.  I've also found huge variation in sizing
even within a particular brand of coat, so it is wise to try it on before
purchase or make sure the retailer has a liberal return policy.  My
"vintage" Helly Hansen coat is a size medium with room to spare, while my
Henri Lloyd bibs are a tight Large..

The other option is to shop the bargains (APS has a 25% off one item sale
that ends today for example) such as the Defender warehouse sale in March.
I'm not sure who has the best deals on gear up in NS, but even companies
such as LL Bean, Land's End, EMS, and REI make breathable hiking,
mountaineering and camping foul weather clothing that will keep you warm and
dry on a boat.  They just may not have as much reflective or high visibility
fabrics.
Chuck Gilchrest
S/V Half Magic
1983 35 LF