Rob,

I am old enough to remember how it was sailing in the old "oilskins" and
"sou’wester". I did a  few off-shore passages in October in the Baltic Sea
(+1 °C - +10 °C) and I now only wish that we had the technical gear that you
can use now. It could have been cheap (it was), but it was lousy. It was
always wet (moist - it would never dry) inside, it was always cold, you
sweated even during the mildest physical effort. No, I would take any,
literally any, current all-weather gear over the old "traditional" stuff.

For off-shore, probably the dedicated off-shore foul weather gear is the
best. However, for some milder conditions, any decent rain gear would work.

Keep in mind, though, that most of the breathable water-proof fabric relies
on the surface tension of the water. If you plug the tiny holes in the
fabric with salt (and you will, like it or not), it stops working (the salt
wicks the water inside and does not allow hot air to escape). You need to
wash it often. For washing any breathable fabric (Gore-Tex, HH etc.) don't
use any normal detergent - it would leave some tiny residue in these pores
and the fabric would stop being water-proof. I use NikWAX products
(http://www.nikwax.com/en-us/index.php) and (so far) I had good results.

One other thing: I find that quite often the cheaper products, even if they,
generally, perform as well as the higher end ones, they lack certain
features. I don't sail off-shore anymore, but if I could transfer my
experience with technical gear used for skiing, I noticed that the higher
end gear usually have a few extra smart ideas (like a wallet pocket
available without undoing the front zipper; or an extra large tag attached
to the zipper, so you can open it even when you are wearing heavy gloves; or
an extra piece of fleece around the neck and cuffs, so that even if it is
somewhat wet, you don't feel it; or the built-in harness; or a Velcro pocket
for a strobe light; etc.). So if you are looking for a new gear, look at
those little tiny extras. You would be glad that you did.

Happy New Year to everyone!

Marek
In Ottawa