From: Dave Godwin via CnC-List<mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: January 1, 2017 17:31
To: C&C List<mailto:cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Dave Godwin<mailto:dave.god...@me.com>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Foul weather gear

And yet again I'll +1 to Dennis' recommendations. I'm sitting here in my shed
looking at the second set of Patagonia foul-weather gear that I purchased way
back in the early 80's. For it's day it was pretty good stuff. FWIW, I met
Yvonne Chouinard while he was still hammering out pitons...

I remember spending several long, cold and wet days and nights racing offshore
in cheap foul-weather gear and swearing that I would never again go low-dollar.
There's no going back to comfort once you are cold and miserable. These days
I'm pleased with the Musto Offshore gear that I use. Spend some money on good
sea-boots too.

Dennis, having lived in Japan I remember those fishing outfits. Maybe they were
on to something.  ;-)

Best,
Dave Godwin
1982 C&C 37 - Ronin
Reedville - Chesapeake Bay
Ronin's Overdue Refit<http://roninrebuild.blogspot.com/>

On Jan 1, 2017, at 5:04 PM, Dennis C. via CnC-List

More random thoughts on foulies.  In spite of the rambling prose, hopefully
you'll find a few nuggets in here.

I like the technical gear.  As a 40+ year snowsports and outdoor enthusiast,
I've always valued comfort over economy.  I bought Gore-Tex and fleece gear
when it first came out.  There's a time and place to save money, outdoor
protective gear is not one of them.

In the late 70's or early 80's, I remember hiking in Colorado with a friend.
He had wool and down gear.  I had Gore-Tex and Capilene (fleece).  We woke up
one morning high in the mountains to 6 inches of new snow on the ground.  In
our hike out to the trailhead, my buddy's gear got soaked and he became
chilled.  Next year, he had Gore-Tex and fleece.  :)  He and I hiked 3 days in
drizzling rain on the Milford Track in New Zealand with our technical gear.
Stayed very dry.

My ski gear is always Gore-Tex.  Currently I'm in a Patagonia Super Alpine
jacket and North Face Gore-Tex pants.  My buddies have Arc'teryx gear.  They
all have the waterproof zippers.

Arc'teryx pioneered the waterproof zippers.  Some foulies have adopted the
waterproof zipper.  It's really good technology.

Finally, I can't stress layering enough.  Regardless of the foulies you have,
protect your core.  I lived in a fishing village in Japan for a while.  I would
watch the fishermen go out in their open boats.  They always wore what I call a
"belly band".  It looked like a gray tube top that went from their waist to
just under their armpits.  Their belief was that keeping their torso warm
prevented illness.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA