More random thoughts on foulies.  In spite of the rambling prose, hopefully
you'll find a few nuggets in here.

I like the technical gear.  As a 40+ year snowsports and outdoor
enthusiast, I've always valued comfort over economy.  I bought Gore-Tex and
fleece gear when it first came out.  There's a time and place to save
money, outdoor protective gear is not one of them.

In the late 70's or early 80's, I remember hiking in Colorado with a
friend.  He had wool and down gear.  I had Gore-Tex and Capilene (fleece).
We woke up one morning high in the mountains to 6 inches of new snow on the
ground.  In our hike out to the trailhead, my buddy's gear got soaked and
he became chilled.  Next year, he had Gore-Tex and fleece.  :)  He and I
hiked 3 days in drizzling rain on the Milford Track in New Zealand with our
technical gear.  Stayed very dry.

My ski gear is always Gore-Tex.  Currently I'm in a Patagonia Super Alpine
jacket and North Face Gore-Tex pants.  My buddies have Arc'teryx gear.
They all have the waterproof zippers.

Arc'teryx pioneered the waterproof zippers.  Some foulies have adopted the
waterproof zipper.  It's really good technology.

Finally, I can't stress layering enough.  Regardless of the foulies you
have, protect your core.  I lived in a fishing village in Japan for a
while.  I would watch the fishermen go out in their open boats.  They
always wore what I call a "belly band".  It looked like a gray tube top
that went from their waist to just under their armpits.  Their belief was
that keeping their torso warm prevented illness.

Dennis C.
Touche' 35-1 #83
Mandeville, LA