Although kerosene is flammable, it is still safe to use in a garage.  I did
my winches that way.  The fumes are not volatile like gasoline fumes.  Just
don't be near an open flame.  Let the parts soak for a while, before you
scrub with a tooth brush or wire brush.  When the parts are clean, wash the
kerosene off with soapy water, before re-lubing the winch.  Use the minimum
amount of winch grease, and only light oil on the pawls.

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 11:54 AM, Joel Aronson via CnC-List <
cnc-list@cnc-list.com> wrote:

> I removed two of my mast mounted winches as they are overdue for service
> (about 25 years overdue).  That was a job in itself, as the bolts had fused
> to the aluminum mounting plates.  A combination of PB Blaster, vinegar and
> acetone, along with a hammer and screwdrivers got them off.
>
> The grease is a gummy mess.  Any recommendations on a non-flammable
> solvent I can soak them in?  I'm working in the garage, so diesel and
> kerosene are out.
>
> Joel

> https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.
> paypal.me_stumurray&d=DwICAg&c=clK7kQUTWtAVEOVIgvi0NU5BOUHhpN
> 0H8p7CSfnc_gI&r=9w3G7Cf8YfQnrjmtuNxwDJYr3JMv9f1pAfgAJ9xXYQQ&m=
> vxTELKUm951Y3xTx8v_t_dNwN_Az7AFW6Ruzb6LMWzA&s=w0DMGcy3dbjItJ-qQ07XC6wQy40_
> hsePQ96Ikf1Mgog&e=

Alan Bergen
35 Mk III Thirsty
Rose City YC