So is it necessary to clean the parts with a soup solution after cleaning with
kerosene...?

Sent from my Verizon 4G LTE smartphone

-------- Original message --------
From: Home via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Date: 1/18/17 11:27 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: cnc-list@cnc-list.com
Cc: Home <ladoug...@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Stus-List Solvent for cleaning winches indoors?

John - wow - 25 years! If I don't do mine once a year I feel guilty
I use mineral spirits and a tooth brush and fine brass brush! When I bought the
boat the grease had turned into wax and I used a non-metallic scraper. Being in
a garage is not an issue. I clean my motorcycle chain with mineral spirits in
the garage. If you are going to let them soak, cover it with a lid. I don't use
rags so that is not an issue.

Sent from my iPad

On Jan 18, 2017, at 7:39 AM, Joel Aronson via CnC-List

Stopped by the local HD this morning.  First, they greatly expanded the
automotive section and oils/solvents.
Picked up a gallon of the ZEP citrus based degreaser and a couple paint
buckets.  I'll drop a winch in tonight and see what happens.  Luckily, there is
a utility sink in the garage, so the admiral won't see the mess.

I'll report back on my success/failure.

Joel

On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 9:52 AM, John Rand via CnC-List
I just used mineral spirits and a tooth brush.

John

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 2:54 PM, Joel Aronson via CnC-List
I removed two of my mast mounted winches as they are overdue for service (about
25 years overdue).  That was a job in itself, as the bolts had fused to the
aluminum mounting plates.  A combination of PB Blaster, vinegar and acetone,
along with a hammer and screwdrivers got them off.

The grease is a gummy mess.  Any recommendations on a non-flammable solvent I
can soak them in?  I'm working in the garage, so diesel and kerosene are out.

Joel

Joel
301 541 8551