Matt,

If your 'teak ply bulkhead' is in fact 'veneer' I would not sand it....a better way is to make a mixture of TSP, ammonia and water and after wetting the veneer with it, dab 000 steelwool, very fine steelwool and rub over the surface(s).....repeat as necessary.....rinse with water and let dry and see what you have.

I did the table on my boat that way and then put a danish oil on it I bought at Lee Valley and it turned out great.

Not that difficult but labor intensive....it was worth it.

Rob Abbott
AZURA
C&C 32 - 84
Halifax, N.S.

On 2017-06-05 12:27 PM, Matthew L. Wolford via CnC-List wrote:
Listers:
I recently had my chart table refurbished by a carpenter who does very nice woodwork. Unfortunately, the refurbished chart table highlights that other areas of woodwork need some TLC, most notably the teak ply bulkhead wall that the chart table connects to. Certain areas of teak surface appear lighter in color than other areas. Any suggestions on refinishing the teak veneer that a non-expert can safely undertake? Is sanding too risky due to the thinness of the veneer?
    Matt Wolford
**