Full disclosure, I work for a Canadian rope company called Novabraid.  You’re
on the right track with a “hybrid” or mid tech line for low stretch at a
reasonable cost.  New England’s VPC product is great for halyards as is Samson
MLX and Novabraid Argus.  All will require a class 2 core to core splice at the
top shackle.  I’ve found VPC and Argus to hold best in clutches due to a
somewhat more robust cover than MLX. StaSet X always seemed very stiff to me
but it is a step or two cheaper by the foot.  While you don’t race, having a
few less pounds at the mast isn’t a bad thing when trying to keep the boat from
heeling excessively and 100% polyester lines are heavy in comparison.
Chuck Gilchrest
S/V Half Magic
1983 35 Landfall
Padanaram, MA