Hi all,

First, having found the archives for this list incredibly helpful, I wanted
to pose a question about the mast step on my C&C 25 II (bought about a year
ago somewhat impulsively, I confess). Occasionally, after prolonged rains,
I'll find some water residue in the cabin under the mast step. It's dark
brown, which has me concerned, and is dripping from one of the bolt holes.
Not much, just some drops. I put some butyl around the step, which has
seemed to solve the leak.

The deck feels solid, but I'm wondering if this warrants a mast step
rebuild. A failing mast step sounds scary. Any things I should check to
diagnose? Any ideas on what a boatyard might charge to rebuild the mast
step (rate is about $100 an hour)?