Stephen,

I had the same thing on my Mk1, brown water squishing out when I tensioned the
rig in the spring.

There is a plywood rectangle glassed into the deck that supports the mast step
and transfers the load from the mast step casting through the deck, to the
bulkhead cross member in the cabin.

The plywood is rotting and needs to be replaced.

I sounded out the deck around the step area to see if there was any
delamination (there was), then cut off the top layer of the deck to the edge of
the delamination and peeled it off.

If your very lucky it will come off in one piece or a few large pieces.

Once this is done you will see the plywood support and any rotten core in the
area and you can remove all of the nastyness.

You can replace the plywood piece (encapsulate it in epoxy first) or just fill
it all in with some fibreglass mat so it is solid.

If you were lucky you can glass the outer deck layer back on or just glass over
the entire cut area until it is even with the existing deck.

Drill the step mounting holes from the inside to get the proper location then
do the oversize drill to the bottom layer of the deck, epoxy fill, re-drill
routine to ensure it doesn’t rot again.

Make sure you bevel the top of the holes to get a better seal with whatever you
use to seal the holes before putting on the step casting.

Some fairing and paint and it’s as good as new.

It took me 3 or 4 days (3 or 4 hrs/day) to do the repair with simple tools, a
dremel tool with cut-off wheels, oscillating multi tool saw, putty knife,
chisel, hammer, drill and bits.

You’ll also need epoxy, some sort of thickener (I used colloidal silica),
fibreglass mat (woven, not the chopped stuff), mixing containers, stirring
sticks and the normal ppe.

It is a DIY job and the only precision areas are getting the deck thickness the
same as it was with a flat area to mount the step and making sure the holes to
bolt down the step are re-drilled in the original place.

Rick Taillieu

Boatless

Leamington, Ontario