Stephen

The '71 C&C 27 Mk I had a deck stepped mast. The mast sat in an aluminum
base that sat on the fiberglass cabin top. The base was held to the deck by
through bolts aft and screws forward. (Forward screws likely into the
bulkhead cross beam.) The cabin top was a fiberglass bulsa fiberglass
sandwich.

One day sailing, I observed water squirting from one of the bolt as the
mast worked and compressed the outer cabin top skin slightly. There was not
enough deck thickness as to result in visible slacking of the standing
rigging. This was unlike the mast step failing on my C&C 30 where the
rigging became dangerously slack.

If you have access to the screws/bolts that you think are the source of the
leak, remove them to determine if the deck under is bulsa cored or solid
laminate. If solid, simply reseal with your favorite sealant. If cored and
the core is wet, you will have to determine the extent of the moisture
(area involved) before determining the best fix. On the 27, I dug out the
moist bulsa and laminated an aluminum plate under the step. A DYI project.
Sailed with the fix for years till Katrina claimed the boat.

Ed Levert
Briar Patch
C&C 34
New Orleans