Per Edson’s instructions, both nuts go on the “bitter end” of the cable.  One
is to tension the cable, the other is a locking nut to prevent the other nut
from coming loose.
FWIW, if you’re dealing with a swaged threaded rod on the end of the cable and
chain, you’re using a 38 year old steering component that is recommended to be
changed every 10 years.  So cut the cable, remove the threaded rod from the
radial drive, get a new chain/cable set up with take up eyes and rope clamps
and be happy the old one never failed!
Chuck Gilchrest
1983 Landfall 35

Sent from my iPhone