Greetings all,

Back in the mid 1980s I briefly ran the rigging shop at Hinterhoeller Yachts
where l learned a nice way to permanently secure conduit inside Nonsuch masts.
I used the technique very successfully on my C&C 30 about 26 years ago and it’s
solid as a rock. Forgive me if I’m repeating what may have been posted in the
past, but I only joined the list in the past year. Pictures and diagrams would
make this easier to describe this whole routine, but I don’t have any so here
we go…

Glue sections of appropriately sized conduit (about 1” I.D.) together basically
for the full length of the spar - between the upper and lower wire exit holes.
About every five feet over the whole length, drill about 1/2” holes through one
side of the tube and about 5/32" holes through the other wall, directly in
line. Thread 3/16” x 1.5" round head SS machine screws through the conduit so
the studs protrude out of the tube (the heads are inside the tube - that’s why
you need the 1/2” holes to be able to access and screw them from the inside
out). You need conduit that is at least 1/8" thick so that the studs will hold
well enough when threaded in place. Lay the conduit on the outside of the mast
where you want it (mine is off centre on the leading edge), tape it in place
and mark (exactly) the location of each of the studs, making sure that you add
adequate-sized holes for any mid-height exits for accessories (bow, deck,
spreader, steaming, radar, wifi). Make sure to use grommets for these mast
holes. Snap a chalk line on the outside of the spar to make sure the holes you
are about to drill in your precious spar are nicely lined up. NO MISTAKES! Feed
the tracer lines for pulling wires and spare line(s) using a separate tracer
line for each exit. You may want to feed the lines at the beginning of the
process, before gluing the conduit together if you don’t have a long enough
pole or other clever way of feeding line. The holes you drill in the spar need
to be somewhat oversized (say 1/4”) so that the studs will fall through easily.
Push the conduit into the mast to the correct location, pull the tracer lines
through the exit holes and tie the ends off. Then wiggle and maneuver the whole
works until the studs fall through the holes, using gravity to advantage. Make
sure that tracer lines aren’t pinched or caught before you add the nuts and
tighten the tube down. Using SS nylock nuts. Use a vice grip to lightly hold
the studs at the mast surface so you can get the nuts started until you have
about a half inch of stud on the other side of the nut, then switch the vice
grip to the end of the stud and crank the nut tight (within reason). Now you
can pull your wires/cables/spare lines using your tracers.

Have fun and sleep well when rolling at anchor.

Rich Klajnscek, P.Eng.
C&C 30 #9, Gloucester, MA
C&C 39 #59, Hamilton, ON