I accomplished the same thing with a squeeze bulb in the line from the
tank. It not only primes the filter bowl but also can quickly pump fuel and
air thru the fuel pump and secondary filter.  It will also tell you if
there is a blockage in the pick up line from the tank.

Fred Hazzard
S/V Fury
C&C 44
Portland Or