From: Jim Watts via CnC-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 18, 2021 1:15:44 AM
To: Stus-List <cnc-list@cnc-list.com>
Cc: Jim Watts <paradigmat...@gmail.com>
Subject: Stus-List Re: 3HM35F oil capacity puzzle

This may help...I took the oil pan off our 3GM30F because I lost a piece of
tape off the oil extractor hose when it was in the dipstick tube. (Yes, I know
I'm an idiot).
I discovered that the oil extractor hose actually hits the top of the suction
thingy on the bottom of the engine, so it never actually gets near the bottom
unless you are really lucky. It really does take 2.6 litres of oil, which I
verified when I refilled it. I have almost never got more than 2 litres out/in
on a regular oil change. I seriously considered putting a banjo fitting on the
bottom of the oil pan so I could drain it from the bottom, but I got nervous
about drilling a large hole into an expensive aluminum casting and chickened
out.

Jim Watts
Paradigm Shift
C&C 35 Mk III
Victoria, BC

On Sun, 16 May 2021 at 17:57, Josh Muckley via CnC-List
I can't recall exactly but if you asked me how much oil I buy in preps for an
oil change I would have said 6 qts without even thinking about it.  I use a
hand vacuum pump but can't recall it's capacity.  As I recall it was the larger
of the 2 Moeller models at the time when I bought it.  The suction hoses have a
metal rod inside which allows you to pre-bend the tube to better suck hard to
reach area.

Josh Muckley
S/V Sea Hawk
1989 C&C 37+
Yanmar 3HM35F
Solomons, MD

On Sun, May 16, 2021, 20:18 Tom Buscaglia via CnC-List
Every time I change oil on Alera I check the engine spec for the Yanmar 3HM35F
that calls for 5.7 quarts.  I have never been able to get more than 4 quarts
out or in.

I use an electric pump extractor via the dip stick hole.  I understand that the
angle of the engine on my 37+ results in the oil laying at the aft end of the
pan and try to make sure the tube gats all the way back there.

Anyone else been able to replace over 4 quarts!

Tom Buscaglia
S/V Alera
1990 C&C 37+/40
Vashon WA
P 206.463.9200
C 305.409.3660

send contribution --
https://www.paypal.me/stumurray<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.paypal.me%2Fstumurray&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cedbed29856f240f4a29f08d919bc0908%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637569117659534691%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=UIwK2%2F1X%2BKD5ogI11NOpnmDi5fwsWSU6w%2B7F%2BoxjnZQ%3D&reserved=0>
  Thanks - Stu
send contribution --
https://www.paypal.me/stumurray<https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.paypal.me%2Fstumurray&data=04%7C01%7C%7Cedbed29856f240f4a29f08d919bc0908%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637569117659544684%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C1000&sdata=yrzqGhH%2Fs6d7b4JWl09IV%2BNd8BV%2BRCG7xprJkhYKi0s%3D&reserved=0>
  Thanks - Stu