If I were you, the first thing I’d do is put what you have (your pre-work and
any backups) in a repository so you can track your history.  Xcode has made
integration with Git so easy.  There are definitely some shortcomings with more
esoteric needs, but for the most part, you’d be fine sticking only with Xcode.

After making your local Git repository, you should set up a remote.  For me, I
use free Bitbucket for my online storage of my private, single-user Git
repositories, and their app SourceTree is also free and provides solutions for
those things Xcode doesn’t give you.  There are other solutions and services
that may be better, but for a single-user team wanting to be budget-conscious
and keep your code private, that’s what I’d recommend.

Once you have your repository in place, tracking errant changes by Xcode
migrations is just as easy as looking at a diff.
--
Gary L. Wade
http://www.garywade.com/ <http://www.garywade.com/>