I haven't looked at your NIB, but I've seen something of what's described with
errant choices of diff tools and source code merging, usually when a user just
accepts a merge without eyeballing it. If you've got a history of your
revisions, you should find where things changed badly. Also, if you've got a
built app that works, I remember being able to add some extra things on older
NIBs to make them openable in Interface Builder, but that was a really long
time ago.

When editing the text of a NIB, you have to be really careful with internal
identifiers, which are essentially freeze-dried pointers within the NIB, and
this may be why your forensic work is failing. When I've had to resort to this
(nowadays in cases of auto layout mainly) I let Apple know that this is the
only way I could do this or that.

Basically, try to find your oldest working version and go forward with that. If
you can compare a working vs immediately non-working, that's even better.
--
Gary L. Wade (Sent from my iPhone)
http://www.garywade.com/