>>  The OP is as late as he could be (no offense meant).

We started 4 years ago.  The previous update from OS 9 to OS X Carbon took about
3 months.  Moving from PPC to Intel was about a month (helped by the fact we
already byte-swap for the Windows version).  So, we figured it would take a
year or so.

The original plan was to subcontract the GUI work, since we assumed there would
be many experienced contractors who had already done Carbon to Cocoa ports.
Meanwhile, we updated the back end in parallel: converting PowerPlant's LArray
to std::vector,
replacing the database, etc.

4 different contractors tried to Cocoa-ize, and got nowhere. Another used QT and
reached the first draw payment, then stopped.  We started asking people for
prior conversion
samples. The few who had actually finished one all wanted $100K+ to do another.

So, we started the GUI work in-house 2 years ago.  Completion estimates keep
receding.

Casey McDermott
Turtle Creek Software