On 17 Aug 2018, at 17:45, Casey McDermott <supp...@turtlesoft.com> wrote:

>>> By now, Cocoa may be the new Carbon.   if your app is large, I'd wait to
>>> see what happens with Marzipan.
>
> This is true, and very scary.  Makes us wonder about sunk cost fallacy.

I don’t actually think it’s very likely that Marzipan will replace Cocoa
(except possibly for things like calculator, to-do list and notes type apps).
My impression is that it’s really a way to run iOS apps, which typically have a
much simpler UI and far fewer features, on the macOS. That makes sense for some
types of software, for sure, but I think larger packages are likely to want to
stick with AppKit.

> It's annoying but not dreadful to link C++ code into Cocoa via Objective-C.

Pretty easy, I’d say; mostly you just rename your file from “.m” to “.mm” and
then use C++ wherever you wish.

> Throw in Swift and future APIs that are Swift-dominated, and it becomes
> harder.  How soon will it be impossible?

It’ll never be impossible, but you’re right at the moment you’ll need either an
Objective-C or vanilla C API to wrap your C++. I’d tentatively suggest that
it’s likely that Swift will develop some means of interfacing more directly
with C++ code in the future, which should make this easier rather than harder.

Kind regards,

Alastair.

--
http://alastairs-place.net