A while back I offered to port a PowerPlant Carbon app to Cocoa for
sometime who posted it on one of the contract programming sites -
ucode or some such.

We agreed on his total price but he absolutely _refused_ to agree on
pre-agreed milestones.  I always put such milestones in the contract,
as well as mailing back and forth with my clients as to what each
milestone should actually be, my pay for reaching each milestone as
well as what ACCEPTANCE TESTS my code must pass so as to trigger a
payment.

The reason this joker gave for being so obstinate was that he once
paid one of my Friendly Competitors for some networking code WITHOUT
EVEN LOOKING AT IT, that Friendly Competitor bailed, then his next
Friendly Competitor coudn't make sense of the first one's code.

I remain _dumbstruck_ that anyone at all would either propose, agree
to or actually pay for a milestone without both sides agreeing to the
acceptance tests which are SPECIFIED IN THE CONTRACT.

Don't even get me started.

Just Don't.
--
Mike Crawford mdcrawf...@gmail.com

  The Global Computer Employer Index: http://soggy.jobs/computer
   (It's actually starting to get global now.)