> On Aug 17, 2018, at 9:45 AM, Casey McDermott <supp...@turtlesoft.com> wrote:
>
> It's annoying but not dreadful to link C++ code into Cocoa via Objective-C.
> Throw in Swift and future APIs
> that are Swift-dominated, and it becomes harder.  How soon will it be
> impossible?

Never. I can't think of a single (nontrivial) language that doesn't have a
foreign-function mechanism to call into C code. It's vital to have this, since
much of a higher-level language's runtime support code and libraries are
written in lower-level languages.

Also, even if 'Marzipan' is released with the goal of eventually replacing
AppKit (which is speculative), it will be in a similar position to Cocoa in
2001 — regardless of how good it is, the apps that _must_ be kept running on
the Mac, like Office, PhotoShop, Final Cut, Ableton Live, still use the old
language/framework and won't be rewritten any time soon. That means Apple must
keep supporting the old framework for years and years and years. (17 years and
counting, in the case of Carbon…)

—Jens  [who worked in the OS team at Apple during the OS 9 / OS X transition]