On 31 Dec 08, at 19:19, Adam Foltzer wrote:
My trouble is in deciding which graphics framework to pursue for the
visualization. Since all I need are representations of points, the path of least resistance for 2-D visualization seems to be using a simple loop with calls to [NSBezierPath fillrect:]. However, I suspect this pattern would not
extend well to rendering a scene with 3-D instances of the swarms.

It won't. Incidentally, take a look at the NSRectFillList() function if all you're after is drawing a bunch of rectangles - it's likely to be a lot faster than NSBezierPath once N gets large.

Beyond the use of Bezier paths, my knowledge falls short pretty quickly. I often hear people sing the praises of Core Animation, but the emphasis on layering in the documentation makes me doubt its capability to draw such a
3-D scene.

My understanding of Core Animation is that it's designed primarily for presenting visual effects within applications. In particular, it doesn't have any "true 3D" effects; the closest it's got are some effects which emulate 3D layering in various ways. See the Animation Overview document[1] for more details.

[1]:
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/GraphicsImaging/Conceptual/Animation_Overview/Animation_Overview.pdf

I also see Quartz mentioned as a friendlier wrapper for OpenGL

It isn't. Quartz is a 2D graphics library and has no 3D capabilities - if what you're after is 3D rendering of any variety, go directly to OpenGL; do not pass GO; do not collect $200.