On 01/01/2009, at 1:19 PM, Adam Foltzer wrote:

I also see Quartz mentioned as a friendlier wrapper for OpenGL, but again I get the impression that it's more geared toward 2-D rendering than anything else. Is a straight dive into full OpenGL the way to go here? I realize that these frameworks have similarities, and that picking the "wrong" one won't at all be a waste of my time, but I'd be thrilled to hear thoughts on their
comparative virtues before I take the plunge either way.

If you want to do 3D visualisation with good performance then OpenGL would be by far the best option.

--
Rob Keniger