> My app is an interactive particle swarm optimization (
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_swarm_optimization for the curious)
> that generates N-dimensional coordinates representing individuals in a very
> compelling, organic way. For visualization, of course, I'm mainly concerned
> with two- and three-dimensional instances of these swarms.
>
> My trouble is in deciding which graphics framework to pursue for the
> visualization. Since all I need are representations of points, the path of
> least resistance for 2-D visualization seems to be using a simple loop with
> calls to [NSBezierPath fillrect:]. However, I suspect this pattern would not
> extend well to rendering a scene with 3-D instances of the swarms.
>
> Beyond the use of Bezier paths, my knowledge falls short pretty quickly. I
> often hear people sing the praises of Core Animation, but the emphasis on
> layering in the documentation makes me doubt its capability to draw such a
> 3-D scene.
>
> I also see Quartz mentioned as a friendlier wrapper for OpenGL, but again I
> get the impression that it's more geared toward 2-D rendering than anything
> else. Is a straight dive into full OpenGL the way to go here? I realize that
> these frameworks have similarities, and that picking the "wrong" one won't
> at all be a waste of my time, but I'd be thrilled to hear thoughts on their
> comparative virtues before I take the plunge either way.

So I think a quick simple distinction between Quartz, Cocoa, Core
Animation, and OpenGL would be useful. Simplistically, Quartz is the
2D drawing framework on the Mac. It does a lot of in software though
which has its strength and weaknesses. Strengths are that drawing
looks consistent on all different Macs and it provides some nice
features like anti-aliasing, rounded caps, etc, for things it draws.

Cocoa is the highest level framework which provides the easiest APIs
to use. It's drawing functionality uses Quartz underneath the hood.

Core Animation focuses less on how to actually draw underlying
primitives, but how to move them in space. You can think of Core
Animation as a rectangle engine. You draw things in rectangles and
move them around. To actually draw stuff in the rectangles, you would
generally use one of the other frameworks. Core Animation leverages
OpenGL to cache your rectangles on the video card so if the underlying
view content doesn't change, drawing can be very fast and unload the
burden off the CPU. Core Animation also leverages OpenGL to transform
these rectangles in space (position, rotation, scale). Core Animation
also provides animation functionality that lets you describe where and
how you want to animate an object, and Core Animation will animate it
for you without you having to worry about interpolating it over time
or poll the event loop.

OpenGL is your direct access to the video card. You don't get a lot of
stuff for free, but it is very fast. And it also does 3D. Unlike
Quartz, you are not guaranteed to see exactly the same thing on
different video cards.

Concerning 2D, I don't have a sense of what you plan to actually draw
and how much stuff you intend to draw. If you are planning to draw so
much that you expect to push the graphics system, OpenGL will be your
best bet. However, if you don't think you will be in this situation,
Quartz/Core Animation/Cocoa may be easier and draw things prettier
with less effort.

Scott Stevenson has a nice Core Animation based demo called NanoLife
which may be of interest to you.
http://theocacao.com/document.page/555

For 3D, Core Animation has some 3D capabilities, but it really isn't
intended for it. (In the above NanoLife link, I think somebody posted
a link to a modification that makes the spores align in a spherical
layout.) If you are serious about 3D, I would recommend OpenGL.

If you go the OpenGL route, GL_POINT_SPRITE might be one of the
primitives you want to consider to represent your object.

One last thing, you might also look into Quartz Composer. It basically
draws OpenGL, but let's you express things with wires and boxes
instead of code.

-Eric