Thanks very much for your input, everyone. This seems to be the key theme:

On Thu, Jan 1, 2009 at 3:48 AM, Andrew Farmer <andf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It isn't. Quartz is a 2D graphics library and has no 3D capabilities - if
> what you're after is 3D rendering of any variety, go directly to OpenGL; do
> not pass GO; do not collect $200.

So, I just ordered a copy of the OpenGL "SuperBible". I suspect I'll have
some frustrations ahead of me, but it should be worthwhile to learn the
low-level API (and probably make picking up CA trivial afterwards).

Eric, thanks particularly for the disambiguation between the technologies.
I've read over the high-level intro documentation for each, but without
having put any of it into much practice, I was still fuzzy about the
distinctions -- crystal clear now. As for Quartz Composer, I was looking
into that, but I would eventually like to use this visualization on the
phone, which (AFAIK) cannot render compositions.

Off to do some refactoring of my Swarm class; at the risk of spawning a
tangent, am I just completely missing a Cocoa data structure that's suited
to matrices of scalar values? I had a working implementation using nested
NSMutableArrays, but the code wound up looking disgusting (my fault, not the
API's ;-), so I rewrote it with good ol' C arrays, malloc, and free. It has
no leaks now, and is really, really fast, but I feel like I shouldn't have
to reinvent the wheel in order to do matrix operations.

Cheers and thanks again,
Adam