On Apr 16, 2010, at 4:46 AM, Jeremy Pereira wrote:

> +1 to that.  Any application that emptied my Trash programmatically would
> find itself being the first new item in there.

ditto.

<soapbox>
The whole reason the trash exists is so users do not accidentally lose data. It
gives them the opportunity to review the contents of the trash before emptying
it and thereby allows them to retrieve files that have inadvertently been
placed there (accidental overly broad Finder selection before dragging to the
trash is a very common example). I know users who have been on the platform
since the very first 128K Mac who quite deliberately only empty the trash once
a week or so. When this feature first appeared with the original Mac it was a
godsend for many because one now had a very easy, OS supported method of
effectively undeleting files.

Any app that empties the trash without the user's explicit consent is an
unintended data loss waiting to happen.

Don't do this. At least some of your users will be very unhappy. In extreme
circumstances, you might even risk legal action because it could be argued that
your app knowingly destroyed valuable user data without the user's knowledge or
consent.
</soapbox>

Raffael Cavallaro
raffaelcavall...@me.com